Saturday, July 25, 2015

Friday FRAPPYs

I always begin each year of AP Stats (and Pre Calculus too I think) deciding that I'm going to incorporate more mixed and spiraled practice throughout the year.  However, I've never come up with a structure to insure that this happens, and without structure, I'm realizing more and more, I am lost and it's never going to happen.  Reading Make It Stick, and learning about how students learn and retain understanding has really pushed me to prioritize cumulative assessments and practice.

So, this year one of the things that I'm going to do is institute Friday FRAPPYs (Free Response AP Problems, Yay! a la Jason Molesky in AP stats.  I will give students 15 minutes to complete the real AP statistics FRQ, and then either I will score them and give feedback, or students will score each other's work and give feedback, or maybe some of both.  The FRQs will mostly cover topics that we've already moved beyond or will have a mixture of topics.

FRAPPYs will be graded as quizzes, so really I'm giving two distinct types of quizzes in class: learning target quizzes which are focused on individual concepts, and FRAPPYs which are meant to be cumulative assessments with mixed concepts.  I want students to know that they are responsible for retaining understanding from previous chapters - they're going to need that knowledge for the AP Exam in May, and more importantly, all of that old knowledge builds and builds until students are prepared for inference.  

I plan to do 4-5 of these FRAPPYs each quarter - so, not every Friday, but as best I can.  I'm trying to have a total of two assessments each week, a mixture of Learning Target Quizzes, FRAPPY quizzes, and chapter tests.

There are a few AP Stats FRQ indexes out there, but I wanted to create my own so that I could take a close look at the problems, but also so that I could determine which chapters each FRQ corresponds to in my curriculum.  I also wanted to determine at what point an FRQ with concepts from multiple chapters would be doable for my students.  I created the spreadsheet below that is color coded based on the chapter.  I left out all the investigate tasks for the moment, but I'll eventually go back and add those into the spreadsheet.  I would share this as a google doc but it uploaded weirdly - I need to fix that :/    It's formatted strangely here in the box file too.  Womp womp.
   


In addition, on the last page of the spreadsheet, I color coded in purple the FRQs that have concepts all from one chapter, and in peach I color coded when all skills needed for that mixed concept FRQ have been taught.  As I'm choosing FRQ's for both Friday FRAPPYs, chapter tests, and sometimes even learning target quizzes, I cross them off in the file.

This document might only be useful to me, I'm not sure.  Annotations like "gross" about certain problems are obviously my personal opinion :) And I only went back to 2002, since, as you can see in my spreadsheet "previous to this is crazy."

I like that I got to look closely at FRQs from previous years, which I honestly haven't done in a while.  I've been using the same old FRQs in class for years now.  There are some real gems in there that I think will be great to use, and that I've ignored in the past for some reason.

2 comments: